Friday, October 22, 2010

Let's go out for a steak dinner, inc?

Who doesn't love food?  My friend Melissa longs for a ol' good steak and potato dinner, while my friend Amy would sell the clothes off her back for a real New York bagel.  My sister works out for hours on end before we go to dinner so she can order her favorite chicken parmesan. Me? All of those things sound delicious, but my weakness is dessert, specifically frozen yogurt.  I have loved Pinkberry since the first warm, summer day we spent together five years ago in L.A.  I have slaved many long hours at work only to splurge my paycheck at the Red Mango down the street from my house.  We all enjoy food, and we're willing to do just about anything to indulge in our favorites.  Food tastes good and why would we think twice, especially when there are corporations out there doing whatever they can to make sure we don't ask any questions.

I first saw Food, Inc. last spring and have since watched it three times.  Although I like to think that I'm aware of current issues, this film reassured me that I have a lot to learn.  It's not that I was uneducated, or not paying attention, its that these corporations operating within our food industry don't want us to know where our food is coming from.  Why you ask? As the film states, "If you knew, you might not want to eat it" (Kenner 2008).  Food, Inc. director Robert Kenner features a number reputable investigative journalists and authors such as Eric Schlosser and Michael Pollen throughout the film.  Food, Inc. explores various food systems and popular food items we consume daily and describes where they really come from.  A part of the film that really struck me was when Schlosser traveled to farms raising chickens for large companies such as Tyson and Smithfield.  It was so upsetting to hear the farmers describe the hold that these major corporations have over them.  Farmers are constantly threatened with termination of contract if they don't follow everything that the companies instruct them to do, and they are living with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and have no choice but to take out more and more loans to keep up with the demands these corporations put on them.  Companies such as Tyson advertise as if they are so farm-friendly, when all they care about are profits, profits, profits.  Another important part of the film to note is the discussion of corn-fed cattle.  Cows used to be raised on grass, but as the corn industry grew and corn became cheaper, people realized they could feed cows corn. While corn may be readily available and cheap, it can also cause cows to grow e-coli in their stomachs which spreads to other cows through manure and inevitable ends up in our food.  There are endless examples of sickness as a result of e-coli. While cows could feed on grass, these corporations demand huge amounts of meat and cheap, and so the consensus is corn.

It is unreasonable to expect people to become vegetarians and stop eating meat all together, or to cook everything by hand, or even to demand to know each and every ingredient our food is being made with.  Many of us enjoy these foods and they are a part of our daily lives.  What I've learned is it is really about social awareness.  I am still going to enjoy my yogurt with it's high fructose corn syrup(also mentioned in the film), just as my sister should eat her chicken parmesan.  The lessons I took from the film are to be aware of these companies and the ways they are treating animals and farmers.  To not be in denial, but to constantly ask questions and to demand these companies provide us with safe food.  Food serves many important functions in our bodies and in our lives, and we should be able to count on these companies to have our best interests at heart.

Get "Hungry for Change," visit http://www.foodincmovie.com/

lovelove

No comments:

Post a Comment